Confidentiality and classified information in our language services
Handling of classified information in our translation and interpreting services
Studio Moretto Group, its subsidiaries and branches (including SMG UK Translations Limited) provide language services, translation and interpreting services using systems and procedures that ensure the correct handling of information classified as Restricted, Confidential, Secret or Top Secret according to NATO, EU or other corresponding security classification systems.
The data security system is described in detail in the Confidentiality and Operational Continuity Plan available to the client upon request to SMG.
For all its translation and interpreting services, SMG processes, stores and saves the information acquired through a system of technologies and procedures developed to reduce the risk of loss and theft of information in various risk scenarios which include, for example: backup measures, measures to control access to offices and disaster recovery procedures.
SMG project managers entrusted with the coordination of your translation and interpreting services, also oversee the processing of classified information, to ensure it complies with the following provisions:
- Special provisions on the management of information classified as Restricted, Confidential, Secret or Top Secret. This may include for example the handling of security clearance procedures.
- SMG’s corporate protocol on Confidentiality and Operational Contingency Plan.
- National regulations on information security, that apply to both SMG and the Client countries.
- Client supplementary clauses, as listed in their tender specifications, if any.
- Confidentiality clauses and Non-Disclosure Agreements in employment and freelancing contracts.
Procedures for data security and for handling classified information
Confidentiality and protection of personal data
Aware of its responsibilities in handling the information it obtains, SMG guarantees the utmost confidentiality in all its linguistic, translation and interpreting services through use of its special internal data security system.
As a provider for the Armed Forces, SMG uses special systems and procedures for producing confidential and secret documents.
Ordinary security procedure
- Material and all documentation provided by clients containing classified information can only be accessed by the personnel responsible. Said personnel have been properly trained and informed about data handling and the risks involved.
- Paper materials are stored inside a special fireproof safe, housed in a safety deposit room;
- Digital material is handled by means of computer systems which are accessible only to persons with the corresponding access credentials;
- Protection on the Internet through the use of firewalls and anti-virus software;
- Three backup systems: on disc, redundant servers and through remote backup, offering fast data recovery. The company also has Disaster Recovery procedures.
Security Clearance Procedures
For the handling of information classified as Top Secret, the Client may require the use of personnel with Security Clearance and a corporate structure with Industrial Security Clearance.
Extraordinary Security Procedure
This procedure applies to translation and interpreting services for which the client requires extraordinary measures and is aware that such measures involve longer implementation times and higher costs. The application of this procedure requires the approval of a specific timing and cost estimate. The management of work subject to this procedure is the responsibility of SMG’s Extraordinary Security Officers. The description of this procedure, access to systems, data and information that they deal with is reserved for the personnel responsible.