Conference interpreters for real time interpretation
SMG UK Translations Limited (SMG UK) provides simultaneous interpreting services for large and small events, including leading authorities among its clients such as the European Union, the OECD, the Italian Defence and numerous other companies requiring professional conference interpreters for company conferences and general meetings.
What is simultaneous interpreting?
Simultaneous interpreters translate uninterruptedly and in real time as the speaker is talking. Professional interpreters are able to speak in a clear and fluid manner, faithfully reproducing the tenor of the speaker as far as possible.
How many interpreters are needed?
While for consecutive interpreting (where the interpreter speaks after the speaker has finished) and for a business negotiation a single interpreter can work alone for several hours, two interpreters per language are recommended for simultaneous interpretation which surpasses 2 hours. This precaution is only taken for conferences and events where the intensity of the speech is such to require the immense concentration of the interpreter and therefore, the alternation with a colleague. In the case of prolonged stress, simultaneous interpretation without alternating turns could lead to the interpreter suddenly feeling under strain with serious consequences for the outcome of the conference.
What technology is needed?
For conferences, general meetings or guided visits with a large number of participants, chuchotage (interpretation whispered into the ear of the listener) is not very practical and it is better to set up specific system to transmit the interpretation to all the participants. This involves the class headphones and microphone in a sound-proof booth which you may have seen used by interpreters for conferences or in Parliament. The type of equipment evidently varies according to the requirements of the event and SMG UK Translations Limited (SMG UK) can provide technical solutions using extremely practical and easy systems.
Where is our simultaneous interpreting service available?
- Italy: Simultaneous interpreters in many cities Rome, Milan, Brescia, Verona, Padua, Turin or Bologna;
- UK: simultaneous interpreters in London, Birmingham and all over England;
- USA: simultaneous interpreting in the main American cities such as New York, Boston and Los Angeles;
- France: simultaneous interpreting in French in Paris, Cannes and elsewhere;
- Germany, Switzerland and Austria: interpreters in German, French or Italian.
How to order our simultaneous services?
Just contact our offices and:
- Tell us the place, date, time, programme of events and translation languages needed.
- Provide information and reference material on the subject matter (speaker’s report, etc.) so that the interpreters can carefully prepare. It is recommended that you make an appointment for a briefing or brief phone call to instruct the interpreters on the details of the event and the aims of your speech: the interpreter will be your voice and must understand your position so that it does not end up as a literal translation. Specify if you prefer a specific tenor for the interpretation based on the audience characteristics and the aims of the communication: for particularly effective communication, a company conference or a motivational course for the sales team often require an interpretation with a more energetic and engaging tone than scientific conferences or political meetings.
SMG UK firmly believes that a good interpretation is not purely based on words but on communicative features such as voice intonation and the breaks taken which differentiate between a boring ‘machine’ interpretation and an effective speech.
Fill in the form below to get a quote from our offices. We are happy to respond to your request and will get back to you as quickly as possible.
All the fields marked with an asterisk are compulsory.